AFTER HOSTING GUESTS FOR 20 YEARS AND HAVING SERVED ABOUT 35,000 BREAKFASTS, IT WAS TIME TO CLOSE THE B&B AND MOVE ON. THEY WERE WONDERFUL YEARS. WE MET PEOPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE AND FROM ALL PARTS OF THE WORLD.
WE WILL BE SPENDING CONSIDERABLE TIME IN SRI LANKA. IN JANUARY 2020, WE PROVIDED FOUR OF OUR FRIENDS FROM OTTAWA A TWO-WEEK TOUR IN SRI LANKA. LET US KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERETSED, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN. JANUARY IS A GOOD MONTH FOR TOURING. WE CAN BE REACHED AT INFO@ASHBURYHOUSE.COM AND 1-613-780-9191 ON WHATSAPP.
Our B&B is located in Ottawa, Canada, in the highly regarded Glebe community and minutes from Parliament Hill and many tourist attractions. We are open but taking COVID precautions, e.g., At breakfast, we serve food wearing masks and keep guests apart from each other. We encourage guests to frequently wash their hands. We do the laundry with hot water. We encourage guests to wear masks when they enter and until they are in their room. We thoroughly clean rooms between guest stays. Since the demand for accommodation is low due to COVID, rooms are usually vacant for at least 24 hours between being occupied. We are conscious of both our health and that of our guests.
- Our gourmet breakfasts, including those that meet their dietary needs
- The stimulating and diverse conversations around the breakfast table
- The warm apple pie and tea when they arrive
- The comfortable rooms and beds
- The attentive and engaging hospitality
- The large charming historic house – some say the dining room, with lit candles, feels like a grand room in a chateau
- Our location — only a few blocks (walking distance) from interesting shops, health clubs, restaurants, pubs, pharmacies, hair salons, grocery stores, churches, bike paths and the Rideau Canal (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) — plus, close to Parliament, the national art gallery and several national museums
- The garden fresh pepper that we sell (more about the pepper)
We have many guests who have stayed with us numerous times since we opened in 2000. We also get many referrals.
We’ve had guests from all over the world and from many walks of life including a clergy from Windsor Castle and a BBC film crew who were en route to “live” with wolves in the Canadian Arctic for several months.
A word about us: Charmaine graduated from Cambridge University and then worked and traveled in over 40 countries while she was with the World Bank — prior to us starting the B&B 20 years ago. George received a PhD for solving a well-known 25-year-old mathematics problem, helped put Canada’s robotic arm on the Space Station and has been in the change leadership business for many years. We’ve been blessed with many rewarding experiences such as meeting up with our former guests while we travel and when we help the less fortunate in Sri Lanka.